Ways in which IDS is currently used:
1. Links within a discovery service open in a new tab/window with full IDS interface [VC, TED, OASIS]
2. Embedded in a discovery service, image displays with full IDS interface but still within context of the discovery UI [VIA]
3. Embedded in a discovery service, image displays without IDS controls [VIA, HOLLIS+]
3a. Embedded with height and width parameters in the URN:
4. Similar or related content delivered through PDS and IDS - e.g. maps that are images, maps that are part of atlases delivered as page-turned objects. Expectations regarding functionality across both systems.
- Map delivered in IDS:
- Atlas delivered in PDS:
Note: Not sure that HOLLIS+ is using IDS, can someone please confirm? - VZ: Hollis+ is using IDS when it's a Harvard resource from DRS.
Ways in which users would like to use IDS/PDS in the future:
- Display images with Geospatial coordinates using IIIF functiionality (Harvard Semitic Museum Giza Visualization Project; Harvard Semitic Museum Lantern Slides and Glass Negatives Preservation and Access Project)
- Display historic images or images of historic sites with Geospatial coordinates that pinpoint locations to which the images refer
- Related links from images to page turned objects and back (Harvard Semitic Museum Lantern Slides and Glass Negatives Preservation and Access Project)
- Example: digitized diaries of an archaeologist who also traveled widely in historic Israel/Palestine. He notes when and where he purchased or took his own lantern slides and glass negatives in particular areas. It would beneficial to researchers to link from pages of the diary to related images in IDS and link from images in IDS to particular pages in the digitized diaries.
- Enable HGL to leverage IIIF for zooming and panning images (Harvard Semitic Museums - would like to load data sets into HGL and images into the DRS and have users find historic images based on region information)
- Enable IDS to generate IIIF manifests that include images from other institutions (Harvard Semitic Museums - LC has a large collection of images of historic Israel/Palestine that are relevant to digitized diaries from the Semitic Museum)
Steps for expanding these:
- VZ ask project contacts for cases
- Hold focus group (with whom?)
- Corinna - HOLLIS+ considerations, requirements