Through this service, many Harvard Library users with a valid HarvardKey may lawfully access specific digitized versions of physical books held by Harvard, due to the temporary disruption in library services. These items may be protected by copyright law but are made available through Temporary Access due to involuntary closure of the library. No further reproduction or distribution is permitted by any means without the permission of the copyright holder.
Works in the public domain continue to be available as usual.
Please see additional information and FAQs at HathiTrust.
Who is eligible
- HathiTrust temporary access is available for active Harvard students, faculty, and staff
- The following library users do not currently have access to emergency temporary access titles in HathiTrust:
- Library research assistant borrowers
- Temporary staff
How it works
- You must Log In to HathiTrust as Harvard University. UPDATE: if you are coming from a link in HOLLIS, you will automatically be logged in to HathiTrust.
- “Temporary Access” books can be read only online.
- You can Check Out a book for 1 hour. Your access will renew automatically at the end of that hour, unless another user requests the book after that hour is over.
- Only one user may Check Out a book at a time (or one user per each copy of the book we hold).
- Use the Return Early button to make it available for another user.
- To read a book that is being used by someone else, you will need to check back periodically.
Which in-copyright books are eligible
- If the work is available in digital form in HathiTrust, and Harvard has the physical book (or volume) in its collection, users will usually be able to access the digital version. If there is a title you believe should be available and you aren't seeing the link in HOLLIS, please let us know.
How long will HathiTrust Temporary Access content be available? Can faculty depend on having course reserves available for the whole summer and/or fall term?
Materials currently available via the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service will continue to be free to access as long as access to our physical collections remains substantially disrupted. Harvard Library is committed to providing online access to all the materials you need for your courses. If there is a specific title you plan to use, please submit it through the Course Reserves tool and we will do our best to make it available to your students. As always, early awareness of your reserve requests will help us enormously.