Wordshack is a central vocabulary maintenance system designed for use in the context of digital repositories and digital preservation services. Wordshack is a separate system that has been integrated into DRS2 Web Admin to allow easy access for managing controlled terms and applying these terms to objects and files stored in DRS.
This section describes how to view terms managed in Wordshack and how to create new terms.
Users with the DRS2 metadata_editor role will be able to create admin category terms. Users will need the Wordshack term_editor role to be able to create organizations, persons, topics, and email terms.
Limitations on editing terms: Deleting a Wordshack term is not supported. You can update an existing term in Wordshack, but existing instances of that term in DRS2 metadata will not be updated. For example, if you update an admin category, any existing instances of that category term in object and file metadata will not be updated. You also cannot apply the updated term to DRS2 metadata. And if you try to add the updated category to DRS2 metadata, it will revert to the original term. These flaws will be fixed in a future release of DRS2.
Viewing Wordshack terms
Select Workshack from the Web Admin main menu to open the Wordshack area. Click an option on the Wordshack menu (on the left) to view or manage a particular type of term. Most terms can be viewed by users with any Web Admin role.
- Menu of term types: Click the menu choice to view or edit terms of a particular type.
- Administrative categories: A curator-assigned label, such as an exhibit name, project name, etc., that is used to classify a set of content. Users with the DRS2 metadata_editor role will be able to create admin categories; all others have view-only access.
- Administrative flags: These flags indicate an issue associated with a file or object that may require administrative action. Admin flags are defined by the Wordshack administrator and most flags are automatically assigned during batch processing. One exception is the INCORRECT_METADATA flag, which can be set by the user in Batch Builder and also in Web Admin. This flag usually indicates a problem with the technical metadata applied to a file. Users with the DRS2 term_manager role can edit these terms; all others have view-only access.
- Email addresses: Email addresses being managed as controlled vocabulary (for EAS archived email collections). Accessible to users with the Wordshack term_editor role.
- Organization names are used in owner account management, to identify the producer of deposited content, and can be affiliated with person terms. Users with the DRS2 term_editor role can edit these terms; all others have view-only access.
- Person terms are created for deposit agents, content producers, owner account contacts, Wordshack and DRS2 users, and can be linked to email address terms. This term type makes it possible to associate a name and identifier with actions performed in DRS2 or Wordshack. Users with the DRS2 term_editor role can edit these terms; all others have view-only access.
- Software: Names of software agents that act on content (e.g., software used to deposit, delete, or transform content) in the context of digital repository and preservation services. Users with the DRS2 term_manager role can edit these terms; all others have view-only access.
- Topics: Currently, these are topical terms originating from "tags" applied to content in EAS archived email collections. Users with the Wordshack term_editor role can edit these terms; all others have view-only access.
2. Searching for terms: Instead of the typical pull-down list, Wordshack uses an auto-complete search feature. Type one or more letters in the box and a list of matching terms will display. The more letters you type, the more refined the list of matching terms becomes.
Or, type an asterisk and a list of all defined terms will display.
Select a term from the list to view its complete record.