Monday, November 18, 2013
3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Lamont Forum Room
"What is Web Scale Discovery and how does it work"
Synopsis: The Harvard Library is currently evaluating options for a new web-scale discovery system. In support of this effort, this meeting focused on the technical aspects of WSD systems. Laura Morse, Paul Deschner, Corinna Baksik, and Emily Singley presented:
- An explanation of how WSD systems work (or don’t work!)
- An "under-the-hood" look at some WSD systems, including both vendor and open-source solutions.
- A discussion of the technical challenges around relevancy ranking, faceting, and metadata.
- Current and emerging WSD standards, including NISO’s Open Discovery Initiative.
- Technical background on StackLife, a discovery tool built by the Harvard Library Innovation Lab