Search for copy in Connexion
In Alma, open the target record in the Metadata Editor
- We should search in Connexion to make sure we have the best possible record.
- This recommendation exists because of the advanced search capabilities in Connexion, where it is easier to deal with large numbers of search results.
- You may also begin right in Alma if you do not generally encounter many OCLC records for your materials.
- Choose Tools --> Search External Resources
A form opens in the right pane. Click the Clear button
Copy the OCLC number from Connexion (Ctrl+T) and paste it to the field labeled "system number" in the form in the right pane in Alma.
- (Should be rare: if you get more than one hit, view the records in Alma and choose the correct record)
Click on the drop down menu and choose "Copy & Merge"
- Do NOT choose Copy & Overlay. Do NOT choose IMPORT since that creates a duplicate record in Alma.
- Note - Copy & Merge removes the 998 field in the original record if present and makes it eligible for future OCLC overlays if it is a monograph.
Exception for serials: we need to keep the 998 field, so if you use "copy & merge" on a serial record, you need to add 998 NO-OVERLAY to the bib. record.
87. Click Execute. Save and release the record.