iSite Topic Box
- Make announcements from the New Announcement button on the Homepage Sidebar or through the Announcement Index page.
- Use the Announcement Index page to:
- Search for announcements.
- Filter unread announcements.
- Delete announcements.
- Close (lock) announcements for comments.
- Set your notification preferences (Settings → Notifications) for Announcements and Announcements Created By You to receive notifications to the communication channels you designate in personal settings under Ways to Contact.
- Create a link to the blog on a custom designed homepage or pertinent content page, or add a navigation link to your course site using the Redirect Tool App (make sure to use the https link).
- Add an external RSS feed from the Blog on the Announcement Index page to have new Blog posts appear as announcements.
- View the Class List and access their Canvas profiles.
- Search for people.
- Sort by role.
- View last activity time and total activity time on the site.
- Use the Inbox to compose a message (conversation) to the entire class, teachers, students, sections, groups, or individual class members. Recipients will be notified of the message (conversation) based on their personal notification preference settings. A new message indicator appears for unread messages on the Inbox link when logged into Canvas.
Collaborative Annotation Tool
- Use one of the following depending on your instructional needs:
- Collaboration (Google Docs or Ether pad).
- Pages set to editable by Teacher and Students or Anybody.
- Upload files to the the Files page in your course site.
- Organize files into folders using drag and drop.
- Lock a file to hide it from students and elect to manually unlock the file or lock/unlock it at a specific date.
- Lock a folder to prohibit student access to the contents.
- Upload a .zip file and Canvas automatically unzips the contents, maintaining your folder structure.
- Copy a file from your personal Canvas files to a course.
- Use the Content Selector to easily link to course files on any page, announcement, assignment, discussion, event, or wherever the Content Selector is available.
- Add course information to the editable Syllabus description or to a customized page.
- Use the Discussion Index page to:
- Filter unread or assignment (graded) discussions.
- Search discussions by title, body, or author.
- Pin discussions to the top of the Discussion Index page.
- Create threaded or focused discussions.
- Require students to post before reading replies.
- Enable a podcast feed.
- Add attachments to the discussion.
- Set availability dates to schedule the discussion.
- Create graded discussions.
- Record grades in the column that is automatically added to the Gradebook.
- Use the consolidated view of a student’s discussion posts in the SpeedGrader™ to easily assess the student’s contributions to the discussion and assign a grade.
- Create group discussions where each group participates in their own discussion forum.
- Create individual Assignments with the Submission Type set to Online.
- Select the acceptable online entry options — Text Entry; Website URL; Media Recordings; File Uploads.
- Add assignment details and link to relevant files and/or content using the Content Selector and Rich Content Editor.
- Set the due date and availability dates. Late submissions will be flagged in the Gradebook.
Early Feedback for Courses or Sections
- Create an ungraded survey in Canvas.
Emailbag & Course Emailer
- Use the Inbox to compose a message to the entire class, teachers, students, sections, groups, or individual class members. Recipients will be notified of the message (conversation) based on their personal notification preference settings. A new message indicator appears for unread messages on the Inbox link when logged into Canvas.
- Use Message Students Who… in the Gradebook to compose a message to students who haven’t submitted the assignment yet, haven’t been graded on the assignment, or scored less than or more than a specified score. A copy of the message is stored in Sent Mail in your Inbox.
- Make comments on student work in the SpeedGrader™ to provide feedback to students.
- Add an External Link to a Module and content is automatically iFramed. An alert and link to open content in a new window appears for insecure content that cannot be iFramed.
- Add iFrame html to any Page with the Rich Content Editor. Some browsers prohibit displaying insecure content in an iFrame on a secure page. This is a function of browsers, not Canvas.
- Use the Redirect Tool App.
- Embed images from your Canvas files, a URL, or Flickr anywhere the Rich Content Editor is available.
- Enable the Lecture Video Tool in your course navigation by going to Settings → Navigation. (FAS only)
News Reader (RSS)
- Add an external RSS feed to Announcements. New content from the feed will be announced to students consistent with their notification preferences and shown under Announcements.
Personal Response System
- Create an ungraded survey in Canvas, use Qualtrics for in-class polling, or try the Canvas Polling mobile app.
- Create an ungraded survey in Canvas.
Quiz Tool (FAS)
- Create a practice or graded quiz in Canvas.
Reserve Reading List
- Use the Manage Reserves tool to manage your Reserve Reading List in Canvas.
Search this Site
- Use the search feature in Discussions to search Discussion Content.
- Use the search feature in Announcements to search for Announcement Content.
- Use the Assignment Index page to easily locate Assignments.
- Use the Quizzes Index page to easily locate Quizzes.
- Use the Pages List to easily locate Pages.
- Use the Module Index page to view all module content.
- Set a page to be editable by Teachers and Students for shared text, URL, and image contributions.
- Set up Groups—each group gets their own Group Files for file sharing.
- Use the Scheduler integrated with the Calendar.
- Link to a Flickr slideshow.
- Embed a Google Docs Presentation on a Page.
- Sort the People page by role to view Teaching Staff.
- Add Teaching Staff information to the editable Syllabus Description or a custom Page.
- Students can message Teaching Staff through their Canvas Inbox.
Text Area-Multi Page
- Use pages.
- Sequence pages together through linking or in a Module.
- Use the Record/Upload Media button in the Rich Content Editor to record or upload short video or audio.
- Embed a video from YouTube or Vimeo (both have LTI apps.)
- Upload media files to your course Files.
- Create a list of web links on a Page.
- Create a module with several External Links.
- View the Recent Activity Stream on the Dashboard for a snapshot of recent activity across all your Canvas courses
- View a Course Stream (link in the Sidebar on the homepage) for a snapshot of recent activity within the course.
- Use Pages set to editable by Teacher and Students or Anyone.
- Use Harvard Wikis for advanced wiki functionality, and provide a link on a pertinent content page or use the Redirect Tool to add a left hand navigation link.