Welcome to the ABCD WebEx Guide space.
The possible combinations of desktop environments is too numerous for us to provide a comprehensive tutorial here. So we will simply provide basic guidelines for connecting to WebEx meetings.
If you have specific questions about the current use of WebEx for ABCD Main meetings or for your working group, please feel free to ask.
Step by step instructions for hosting a webex meeting
Note: it is good to budget 10-15 minutes for this process. It can be a little fiddly.
I. Scheduling the webex meeting
- Contact your WebEx support person in HUIT.
II. Announcing the webex meeting
- Your WebEx support person will send you an email with something like the following (numbers and codes obfuscated):
- Meeting number: 123 456 789
- Meeting password: SomePassword
- Meeting link: https://huit-uc.webex.com/huit-uc/j.php?MTID=md123456789
- Host key: 123456 [ secret! don't send this to everyone! ]
- Send meeting participants this information EXCEPT the host key. That's the secret code that gives you host powers.
III. Running the meeting
- When the meeting is about to start, assuming you are using your laptop in the Lamont Library Forum room or some other room with a phone, do the following:
- Click on the webex "meeting link" above.
- If you're there early, wait for the clock to run down so the meeting can start. Then join the meeting as though you are a participant. DO NOT click on "if you are the host, Start meeting." That is there just to deceive the uninitiated.
- Login with meeting password. Webex client will fire up.
- From the participant menu click on reclaim host role Type in host key code above.
- Click use phone under audio conference (I made sure the phone will be there)
- Dial in to given phone number with code to use the phone (you want to use the phone vs computer input because it is much better quality)
- Click "share desktop"
- Click "record"
- If you see people showing up in the participants panel, that is a good sign! Ask them through the phone or through chat if they can hear you.
- Remind remote participants to mute their mics so we don't get all kinds of disturbing noises.