Standards for recording Billing Accounts in Aeon
- Aeon does not set security limits for read/edit roles; we are documenting practices for recording billing accounts but urging staff who are NOT tasked with account set-up roles to not work in this area. The information is provided for your general understanding and may be helpful in reviewing billing data.
- Billing accounts are only used for internal billing patrons; they are most useful for projects or standard, repeat billing for a particular patron for a particular period of time.
- Billing accounts are entered via Aeon Client application.
Billing Accounts are completely optional, and are used to make payment processing simpler when an order's cost is being covered by a specific Harvard 33 digit billing code. A Billing Account is uniquely identified by an Account ID (the 33 digit code) and a Description. The Account ID may not be edited once created (only deleted); the Description may be edited. As the information is not essential to transaction creation in Aeon, separate e-mail to staff may be utilized to assure accuracy in Billing Account Creation..
Creating and Editing Billing Accounts (function limited to identified staff members)
- To open the Billing Accounts form, click the Manage tab, then click Billing Accounts.
- To create a new Billing Account, click New or navigate to "click here to add a new row" in the Billing Accounts section
- Type in a Billing Account ID and Description (see formatting guidelines which follow).
- Click Save to save changes.
- To edit a Billing Account Description, click on the account and make changes. The ID cannot be modified once it has been created, only the description.
Associating Users with Billing Accounts
Staff can associate a Billing Account with a user on the User form under the Billing Accounts tab. This tab will list any current Billing Accounts and will allow staff to search for other accounts. Any number of billing accounts may be associated with a user. When a patron is removed from a Billing Account, any of the patron's orders that are associated with that account will retain that association, so past orders will not be adversely affected by changes to the patron's account. If two patrons are merged, the account associations of the disavowed user will be copied to the new user.
- To associate a user with a Billing Account, first search for and open the User's record (on the HOME page, center column)
- Click on the Billing Accounts tab.
- Any existing Billing Accounts associated with the user will display on the left.
- By default, all of the available accounts will be shown in the Search Results box on the right when the form is first loaded.
- To find a specific account to add to the user, select it from the list or search by Account ID or Description.
- To add the account to the user, click Add Billing Account.
Associating Orders with Billing Accounts
Billing Accounts can be assigned to orders by staff through the Aeon client from the billing tab of the order form. Only one Billing Account can be assigned to an order, and it is not required to add a Billing Account to an order. Billing Accounts may only be associated with an order for a user already associated with the Billing Account.
An order's billing account values will be available to print and email templates via the field names BillingAccountID and BillingAccountDescription. If a Billing Account is assigned to an order, "Billing Account" will be added to the payment method dropdown, and selecting it will automatically add the account ID to the payment reference field. An order's Billing Account will also be assigned to any clones, but only if it is a valid account given the clone's user and researcher. Otherwise, that field will remain blank. This will not be relevant until the photoduplication process is initiated on the clone, but once it is, the billing account will already be assigned.
- To add a Billing Account to an order, open the order and click on the Billing tab.
- Click on the Billing Account dropdown and select the Billing Account you want to add.
- Click Save.
Formatting Account ID/Description
Under the heading Account ID is listed the FULL 33 digits in the standard pattern [i.e. TUB/3, ORG/5, OBJECT/4 (see next section), FUND/6, ACTIVITY/6, SUBACTIVITY/4 and ROOT/5]. If you do not know values for a particular segment, do not enter any data as the fields may not be edited. Separate the segments using a period (.). As in - "000.00000.0000.000000.000000.0000.00000"
Harvard requires use of 'matched' OBJECT codes to properly record the debit/credits for internal billing. The following are the preferred patron side expense Objects for work (and may be expanded in the future):
For the account Description, there are guidelines towards standard text; once created, this field may be edited.
- Begin with FYxx indicating the Fiscal Year the 33 digit coding is to be used (updating/editing to keep to current FY will be a good practice when coding is confirmed);
- Next indicate the project name, starting with the Repository if a single entity is involved. You do not need to indicate contact/staff name here- those will be linked to the Account via the Billing tab
- EX: FY15 Yenching Chinese Rare Bks Proj
- EX: FY15 HLS
- EX: FY15 FAS MOU
As important as set-up of new coding are the details about 'end of life' for coding, which we will retain for reference (but only with a history back to the beginning of the use of Aeon by Imaging Services). Descriptions may be edited, and if a particular coding is no longer used, adding DONE to the text line will be important; it may be that simply NOT updating a FY indicator will be sufficient signal not to use a coding (or minimally to double check before using/confirm the current status of the coding if it does not include the current FY).
See also Aeon documentation (some text already used here): https://prometheus.atlas-sys.com/display/aeon/Billing+Accounts