PO Line Type and Owner
1) Select purchase order Type:
Physical – Standing order non-monograph
2) Select PO line owner
The PO Line owner represents the acquisition library that is placing the order, which may not be the library for whom the material is being ordered. See Purchase Orders, Lines and Owners
Load from template: If you want to use an existing Public or Private POL template. See PO Line Templates for more detail
3) Assign Inventory Manually (checkbox)
Physical - Standing order non-monograph -- automatically creates a Holdings record, but not an Item
During the creation of a Continuous POL, you can decide whether the creation of Inventory will be:
- Automatic based on the POL owner -- Uncheck this box if you would like the attached inventory (i.e.the holding records) to be automatically created based on the Library that is the POL owner, i.e. POL Owner of Schlesinger Library would automatically create a holdings record for Schlesinger
- Automatic based on the inventory saved in a POL template – Uncheck this box if you are using a template and want to use the and holding inventory from that template
- Assigned manually -- Check this box if you would like to create the attached holding record manually because it differs from the POL owner, i.e. POL Owner of ITS at Langdell would have to create inventory manually for one of the holding libraries (i.e. Gutman) unless using a predefined template
In either case, you can easily edit this information from the summary screen of the order by deleting and adding inventory
4) Click on Create PO line, then click on “Confirm”
NOTE: once Confirm is selected, a POL is created even though it may be missing mandatory information. This POL number is created and the POL automatically goes into Review until the next step of the ordering process has been completed. For more information about POLs in Review, see Reviewing Purchase Order lines and Purchase Orders. For more information about the Steps of the ordering process, see Overview of Alma Acquisitions Workflows
If created in error, cancel the POL at this point via the Cancel Line button on the top menu bar of the PO
Purchase Order Line Details
1) POL Summary tab
Required fields are indicated with a Red asterisk in the form
2) Other POL tabs
Attachments tabs are not used during POL creation, but hold the following data throughout the life of an order:
- Description: created automatically but can be edited. NOTE: The PO line description is an entity that is created at the time of the PO line creation and is not connected to, or influenced by, the bibliographic information of the related record. This means, for example, that if a PO line is created for a title Introduction to Chemistry, the PO line description title will be Introduction to Chemistry. If, at a later point in time, the title changes to Introduction to Organic Chemistry, the PO line description title will not automatically change. If you want to have the PO line description title updated as a result of a changed bibliographic record title, you may do so using the PO line's Change Bib Reference button. See the Order maintenance training doc for more information
- Alerts: lists the alerts that were generated for the PO line
- Invoice Lines: allows you to view invoice line item associated with this POL
- Associated PO Lines: PO lines appearing in this tab were:
- Associated automatically to this PO line by Alma.
- Manually associated to the current PO line in the Associated PO line field in the Additional section of the Summary tab of the other PO line.
- NOTE: for migrated orders, this tab would show any additional Aleph orders that were on this bib record
- Communications: use to start a new communication with the vendor or, if a communication already exists, you can enter details of the reply from the vendor and/or follow up on the communication with your reply to the vendor. The communication created here is sent to the vendors via email. Replies from vendors do not populate here, however; they would have to be manually copied and pasted in here. See the Claiming (One-time / Continuous) training document for more details.
- Interested Users: use to manage users interested in the acquisition: somewhat akin to a routing list. Interested users are always notified about changes in the PO line. You can also select that an interested user is notified when the item is received, activated, or renewed, and/or that a hold is placed on the item for the user. See Requests (Fulfillment, Part 2)
- History: shows the the audit trail of changes performed to the PO line. These include changes in status, price, and fund distribution; it may also include some migrated order history data
- Notes: allows one to add, update, or delete notes for the PO line; it will also include the Aleph Library note field for migrated orders
- Attachments: allows one to add, update, or delete attachments associated with the PO line
Completing the POL
After entering all the pertinent and mandatory information in the POL, click on one of the following actions on the top Purchase order line details bar:
To place the order, choose either:
- Save and continue: The information you entered is saved and the PO line continues to the following stage of the workflow (review rules are not checked); which most likely is to place the order via Manual or Auto-packaging. See Packaging and Sending a Purchase Order for more details.
- Order now: Enables you to process an order for a PO line, which moves the PO line to the purchasing workflow where it is normalized and validated before being packaged and sent to the vendor. See Packaging and Sending a Purchase Order for more details
- Save – The information you entered is saved, and the PO line remains in its current workflow stage (if you just created the PO line manually, it remains In Review). If you are editing PO lines from the Claims page, click Save to store the information you modified.
- Cancel line – The PO line is canceled
- Defer – The PO line is deferred and appears in the Review Deferred task list until it is either reactivated or canceled. It will only show up in the general task-list only on the due-date provided when setting up the deferral.
- Relink – Changes the bibliographic record to which the PO line is linked. See Changing a PO line's Bibliographic Reference
Editing the Holdings record Acquisition status field
After completion of the POL, it is important to annotate the Acquisitions status field in the Holdings record to indicate that the title in On order
- Push the bibliographic record into the Metadata editor by clicking on the title and then Choosing Edit
- Click on the View inventory icon (or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + I)
- Click on Edit to open the holdings record in Edit mode
- Click on the 008 field and Open the editing form by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F)
- Change the value in byte 6 (Receipt or Acquisition status) to reflect the nature of the order
- 3 On order
- 4 Currently received
- Hit Escape to close the form
- When creating a stub bib. and holdings in Alma at the point of creating a new order, such as when there is insufficient information to create an encoding level 3 record in OCLC, it is necessary to add the 908 $a p field to the holdings record to prevent Harvard's holdings from being attached in OCLC.
- Save the holdings record
- Release both the holdings and bib records