Harvard LibraryCloud is a metadata hub that provides granular, open access to a large aggregation of Harvard library bibliographic metadata. The public LibraryCloud Item API supports searching LibraryCloud and obtaining results in a normalized MODS or Dublin Core format. LibraryCloud contains records from Harvard's Aleph ILS (over 12.7M bib records), VIA (4M image records), and OASIS finding aids (2M finding aid components). Aleph metadata has additionally been enriched with the Stackscore usage metric, as well as holdings, and LC classification subject headings.
LibraryCloud also contains an alpha release of a Collections API, that is planned for use as a digital collection definition and export service. The Collection API allows a group of LibraryCloud records to be labeled as part of a named collection. The collection may then be harvested through OAI-PMH in order to import metadata into on-line digital exhibit platforms, such as Omeka or DPLA. The full build out of the collection API and a collection builder web application is still a work in progress.
More information about LibraryCloud can be found on the Harvard Library portal at http://library.harvard.edu/librarycloud
For Technical support or to report a problem, please go to Report an issue with LibraryCloud
- LibraryCloud Item API
- LibraryCloud Collections API
- LibraryCloud Support
- LTS Internal Documentation for LibraryCloud (Login Required)
LibraryCloud's backend is built on a scalable metadata processing pipeline. The technology stack includes:
- Amazon Web Services (including the Simple Queue Service, Simple Notification Service, and Apache camel), deploying up to 10 EC2 servers to quickly update the data from source catalogs 3 times/week.
- A Java RESTful API Service that uses solr/lucene as the search index supporting Item API search functions
- A Java RESTful API Service that uses a simple Amazon RDS database supporting the Collections API
- (In development) An OAI-PMH data provider
LibraryCloud is open source software that can be downloaded from Github at https://github.com/harvard-library
An overview of the metadata processing pipeline is shown below.