Fixed field that comprises the first 24 character positions, chiefly concerns record status and format of material.
Bytes of interest:
(05) Record status n (new)
(06) Type of record t (manuscript language material)
d (manuscript notated music)
f (manuscript cartographic material)
k (2-dimensional non-projected graphic)
(07) Bibliographic level m (monograph/single-item)
(08) Type of control a (archival control)
(17) Encoding level ^ (full level)
(18) Descriptive form i (ISBD)
Note: For materials that can be fully described in a MARC record but are better described as a collection rather than a single-item, use the collection-level cataloging manual standard.
For fuller specifications of this field see MARC 21.