- Items designated 'HRef' by the curator will be housed in the Printing & Graphic Arts reference section. They are accessioned and cataloged by the Bibliographic Assistant and sent to end-processing. In the event an item does not have cataloging copy available, the Bibliographic Assistant will create a stub record and route it to the Rare Book Team for original cataloging.
- Steps for processing an HRef book:
- Assign a Printing & Graphic Arts Accession Number and print it in the upper left-hand corner of the title page verso.
- HRef numbers are assigned in sequence, with no attempt at classification. To determine the HRef number, go to Hollis Classic and search "HRef-9000" under 'Other Call Number.' This will show you the last HRef number used.
- Assign the next HRef- number in the sequence to the item in hand and print it in the upper left-hand corner of the title page verso, underneath the accession number.
- Create holdings record, item record, and routing slip as per usual. Retain the dust jacket if there is one. In field 852 subfield h, assign the complete HRef number as the call number.
Example of an HRef holdings record:
- The 52L- call number is a special Typ category. It is designated by the curator for certain decorated paper books. Like HRef materials, the numbers are assigned in sequence, with no attempt at classification.
- If the item marked '52L' is contemporary, follow the same procedure as described above for HRef. If the item is not contemporary, assign a Printing & Graphic Arts accession number in the upper right-hand corner of the title page verso and send it on to the Rare Book team. Note: prior to 2012, the 52L- number was used as both the accession number and call number.
- Items assigned the MS Ref- call number are kept in the manuscript reference section near the office of the Curator of Modern Books & Manuscripts.
- Follow the same procedure as described above for HRef and 52L.
- On the routing slip indicate an ownership label, plate, and tab as usual. If the item has a dust jacket, retain it and indicate 'poly sleeve required' on the routing slip.
- In the holdings record, change the subfield c to MANU and enter the complete MS Ref number in subfield h.
Example of an MS Ref holdings record: