For: Vulnerable items thinner than 1.3 cm.
Catalogers place items in prefab folders before delivery.
Dust jacket covers
For: Items with dust jackets, except when housed in a CMI or prefab case.
End-processors make the dust jacket covers:
- Select the appropriate size for the dust jacket cover (small or large).
- Place the flat dust jacket face-down into the prefolded flap.
- Fold the top of the Mylar cover over the top of the dust jacket, making sure not to fold the dust jacket itself.
- Remove the dust jacket. Use a teflon folder to strengthen the crease on the top of the Mylar cover.
- Open the flaps of the Mylar cover, and using the metal ruler as a width guide, trim down the flaps to a 2" width.
- Place the dust jacket into the Mylar cover, and trim off any excess Mylar on either side. Leave 1/2"-1" of Mylar on either end.
- Place the book into the covered dust jacket, and gently cover the book, one side at a time. Gently fold the front and back covers so the covered dust jacket fits snugly.
For: Vulnerable items thicker than 1.3cm (Some thickness exceptions for landscape format and other irregular items.)
Catalogers place items on the "Incoming CMI" shelf with Aeon slips.
End-processing assistants measure the items, order the cases, and assemble them before the items can enter the end-processing workflow.
1. Creating a new lot
- Open the CMI OrderBuilder program.
- Create a new boxing order and save in month-year-day-initials order (ex. 2014-06-31-AH).
- When prompted, start the item count at 1.
- Remove item from temporary envelope.
- Using the phase box measurer, measure the height, width, and depth of each item in mm.
- Enter these measurements into the new CMI OrderBuilder order.
- Write the boxing order number on the EMPTY temporary envelope, followed by a slash and the book number (for example, for the first book you measure, write “2014-06-31-AH/1”). This will allow you to match items to the finished boxes.
- Return the item to the envelope and place on "Awaiting CMI Arrival" shelves.
- Select "Create New Box."
- After you have completed the last item, click on “Exit” in the CMI OrderBuilder. Each lot is saved in the C Drive, under C-DRIVE (C:)\Program Files\CMI.
- The End-Processing Supervisor will email the order to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes on CMI measurements
End-Processing Supervisor - before sending the order, remember to check each order for the following:
- Anything less than 25 mm thick needs a four-flap enclosure (default)
- Anything greater than 25 mm thick needs a clamshell-style enclosure (default).
- Anything over 1,000 mm total (h + w + d) needs a two-piece box.
- E-flute is the default board type. If the default is changed, it will remain until manually changed back.
- Books thicker than 25 mm and larger than quarto size need 56 pt board.
- Very heavy items also need 56 pt. board type, no matter what the size.
3. Completed box orders
- When boxes arrive, locate the correct lot on the shelf.
- Open up the box orders. Starting with number 1, fold the boxes along the scored lines to create the CMI case.
- When the box is constructed, place the item inside and make sure that it fits securely and closes easily.
- Keep the routing and Aeon slip with the item and case, and save the envelope for use in the future. Discard envelopes that are torn or dirty.
- Continue until all boxes are assembled. Save any packing paper in the mezzanine storage closet, and recycle the shipping boxes.
- If an invoice is included, send this to the Technical Services Librarian.
- Place items on the appropriate “Incoming” shelves in End-Processing.