A space key is a short name for a space that is used to uniquely identify it in all URLs that reference its content. For example, the "Harvard WIki Help Documentation" space uses "HELP" as a space key. You can see this in the URL here: https://wiki.harvard.edu/confluence/display/HELP.
Space keys must be carefully selected because, unlike space names, space key names cannot be altered. Space keys:
- Should begin with a prefix that represents the school or unit they are associated with. (See the list of suggested prefixes below.)
- Must be unique. If a space key name already exists in Harvard Wikis, you will be prompted to submit another one.
- Must contain only letters and numbers. They cannot contain spaces, punctuation marks, or other characters.
- Are not case sensitive. For example MySpaceKey, MYSPACEKEY, and myspacekey are considered identical space key names.
Space Key Prefixes
When you are creating a new space for your school or for your department, you should use a prefix that allows your space to be easily identified. This is especially important at Harvard, where each school or department may have similarly-named groups.
Some suggested prefixes are:
Harvard University: hu
- Harvard University Information Technology: huit
- Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences: fas
- Harvard Libraries: lib
- Harvard Art Museums: ham
- Harvard Athletics: ha
- Harvard College/GSAS: colgsas
- Harvard Graduate School of Education: hgse
- Harvard Graduate School of Design: hgsd
- Harvard School of Public Health: hsph
- Harvard Law School: hls
- Harvard Medical School: hms
- Harvard Dental School of Medicine: hdsm
- Harvard Divinity School: hds
- Harvard Kennedy School of Government: hks
- Harvard University Extension School: ext
- Harvard Summer School: sum
- Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement: hilr
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study: rias
Sample Space Keys
Graduate School of Design Library Reference: gsdlibraryreference
FAS Senior Advisors: fassradvisors
Harvard University HR Directors: huhrdirectors
Harvard University Information Technology Summit 2012: huitsummit12
Harvard Medical School Seminars Fall 2011: hmsseminarsf11
Graduate School of Education Technology in Education Program: gsetieprogram
Harvard Libraries Cataloging Resources: libcatguides